Cricket events across the globe has been impacted by COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak, which has now been termed as “Pandemic” by World Health Organisation. While some of the full member bi-lateral series will still continue to take place behind closed doors (will be played without any audiences at the grounds/stands), all Associate member related tournaments/series have been postponed/cancelled so far in the past 1 month.
Here are the list of the tournaments/series that have been either postponed or cancelled in the Associate cricket circuit in the past 2-3 weeks, ever since the number of infected people count went on a rise across multiple countries in different regions in the globe.
- Everest Premier League (Nepal): The franchise-based T20 league in Nepal was postponed after a government directive to refrain from mass gatherings, as the tournament was to take place at Tribhuvan University ground in Kirtipur in Mar 2020. The franchise teams had made some high-profile overseas signings in the likes of Chris Gayle, Dwayne Smith, Upal Tharanga, Paul Stirling, Mohammad Shahzad and others for the 2020 edition of the tournament.
- Women’s 4-nation Quadrangular (Thailand): The 4-nation series to be contested between Thailand Women, Ireland Women, Netherlands Women and Zimbabwe Women was cancelled due to the fears of the virus outbreak. The tournament was intended to provide preparations for all the four countries for the Women’s World Cup Qualifiers in 2020 in Sri Lanka.
- CWC Challenge League A (Malaysia): The 2nd round of CWC Challenge League A, scheduled in Malaysia from Mar 16th, 2020 was postponed by ICC (International Cricket Council) due to rapidly developing health emergency with increasing travel difficulties between countries and potential uncertainty arising for individuals returning to their country of origin. Canada, Denmark, Malaysia, Qatar, Singapore, and Vanuatu were to participate in the tournament.
- Czech Republic tour of Malta (Malta): The scheduled T20 series between Czech Cricket and Malta Cricket men’s national squads on Mar 14th – 15th, 2020 was postponed, as a precautionary measure. Malta Cricket Association have also suspended all international cricketing activities that Malta Cricket has any involvement in, until further notice from public health and government authorities.
- ACA T20 Africa Cup (Kenya): The inaugural Africa Cricket Association T20 Africa Cup, set to be hosted by Cricket Kenya in Nairobi in Mar 2020, was postponed after the decision of the Government of Kenya to safeguard the country against the possible entry of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Ghana, Mozambique, Cameroon, Malawi and Botswana were to participate in the event, which was to be played in the T20I format.
- CWC League 2 (USA): The 6th round of ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup League 2, set to begin on from 01st April 2020 in Florida, USA has been postponed due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, as announced by ICC (International Cricket Council). The event, scheduled between 01st and 08th Apr at Broward County Stadium in Fort Lauderdale with hosts United States, Scotland and the United Arab Emirates were to feature six ODIs.
- Netherlands tour of Namibia (Namibia): The dutch men’s tour of Namibia for ODI and T20I series from Mar 25th – 01st Apr, 2020 has been called off due to the Coronavirus outbreak. Following the rapid blowout of the pandemic in the European region, Netherlands cricket board (KNCB) took the decision to cancel travelling out of the country.
- European Cricket Series (Spain): After the successful hosting of the first series at Alicante in the newly created European Cricket Series by European Cricket League (ECL), the subsequent two series scheduled for Catalunya and Barcelona were postponed due to the outbreak in the Euopean region and in Spain.
- Central Europe Cup 2020 (Czech Republic): Czech Cricket have postponed the 2020 edition of Central Europe Cup, expected to take place from Apr 30th – May 03rd at Prague and was to be competed between teams from Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, Switzerland and Ukraine.
- European Cricket League (Spain): European Cricket League (ECL) has postponed the second edition of the tournament until 2021 after Government of Spain’s directive to ban mass gatherings amid growing fears about the transmission of the virus. ECL20 at La Manga club was to start from May 31st and was to feature 16 domestic clubs from 15 European countries in the T10 version of the game.
- Austria tour of Belgium (Belgium): T20I series between Austria and Belgium on Apr 18th and 19th has been postponed until further notice.
- Luxembourg tour of Belgium (Belgium): T20I series between Luxembourg and Belgium on Apr 26th has been postponed until further notice.